- 21-10-2014 PAM TO STRENGHTEN COOPERATION WITH THE UN HUMAN RIGHTS COMMISSIONER’S OFFICE
- 21-10-2014 PAM AT THE VERONA ENERGY EFFICIENCY SUMMIT
- 17-10-2014 Energy, a motor for regional development, security and stability – PAM delegation meets MEDREG Steering Committee Members and EBRD
- 17-10-2014 PAM at NATO-PA meeting in Catania on Mediterranean and Middle East issues
- 02-10-2014 PAM delegation discusses forthcoming mission to the Middle East and implementation of joint UNSC/PAM Counter Terrorism parliamentary programme during mission to the 69th UN General Assembly in New York.
- 23-09-2014 PAM HIGH LEVEL DELEGATION AT UN GENERAL ASSEMBLY IN NEW YORK
- 19-09-2014 PAM and UN cooperation on counter terrorism measures in the Maghreb region
PAM TO STRENGHTEN COOPERATION WITH THE UN HUMAN RIGHTS COMMISSIONER’S OFFICE
PAM Vice-President, Hon. Taysir Qu’ba (Palestine), accompanied by the PAM Secretary General, Amb. Sergio Piazzi, met in Geneva on 14 October 2014, with Mr. Frej Fenniche, Chief of the Middle East and North Africa Section, Office of the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights, in order to discuss cooperation between the two institutions.
The meeting addressed the recent report presented by the UN-OHCHR Special Rapporteur, Mr. Makarim Wibisono (Indonesia), on the Gaza crisis, as well as the implementation of a series of recommendations resulting from the meeting of the PAM 3rd Committee held in Antalya, Turkey, on 24-25 April 2014.
With reference to the Gaza crisis, the OHCHR informed that its Rapporteur was not able so far to visit the region, and requested PAM’s assistance for the future.
OHCHR expressed its full support for the PAM’s initiative to establish a pool of MPs, ready to travel at short notice to critical areas, in order to facilitate with their contacts the delivery of humanitarian assistance, the protection of civilians, the respect of human rights, and the negotiation processes. A dedicated meeting, also to include UNHCR, UN-OCHA, the Norwegian Refugee Council, among others, will follow in order to prepare for a series of pre-mission seminars for PAM MPs.
Finally, OHCHR expressed its readiness to assist, as required, PAM in the implementation of the UN Security Council Resolution 2178 of 24 September 2014, in connection with counter-terrorism activities.
MEDIA INFORMATION: 41/2014
Issued on: 20.10.2014