- 27-01-2016 PAM and ICMPD discuss future cooperation
- 08-01-2016 PAM Bureau elects new President and launches mobilisation on water crisis in Gaza
- 16-12-2015 PAM and IDLO pave way for structured cooperation
- 16-12-2015 PAM at Mediterranean International Conference in Rome
- 16-12-2015 PAM cooperation with Greece highlighted during meeting with Ambassador Karykopoulou
- 10-12-2015 PAM at COP21: The Mediterranean a key region in the future of climate-related issues
- 04-12-2015 PAM will continue to strengthen legislative action to fight terrorism
PAM and ICMPD discuss future cooperation
On 26 January 2016, Mrs. Chantal Lacroix and Mr. Julien Simon, representatives of the International Centre for Migration Policy Development (ICMPD), held formal discussions at the PAM HQ in Malta, with the Secretary General, Amb. Sergio Piazzi, in view of establishing structured and fruitful cooperation between the two organisations.
In particular, discussion touched upon the forthcoming ICMPD event “Migrants in Countries in Crisis (MICIC) Initiative - Regional consultation for the Middle East and North Africa” which will take place on 14-15 March in Malta.
The ICMPD requested PAM’s support for this event, particularly within its parliamentary network in the Mediterranean region. The ICMPD aims, with the cooperation of the European Commission, at producing voluntary, non-binding guidelines, that will be presented at the UN General Assembly in New York, in September 2016. The assistance of PAM, in its capacity as Observer to the General Assembly, was also sought in order to provide the project with added impetus and value.
Of particular interest to the ICMPD representatives, were the Induction Courses, organised by the UN Human Rights Commission for PAM MPs, for the establishment of a PAM Rapid Deployment Capacity, to advocate for the protection of civilians and facilitate the delivery of humanitarian assistance in crisis situations.
On its part, PAM invited ICMPD to join the Academic Platform in order for the Mediterranean MPs to benefit from the organisation’s experience and knowledge on migration and people’s forced movements. It was also agreed for ICMPD and PAM to sign an MoU in the near future to strengthen and complement their respective roles in the Mediterranean. This process will be coordinated by Ambassador Peter Schatzer, PAM’s Permanent Observer to the United Nations and other International Organizations in Vienna.//
MEDIA INFORMATION: 02/2016
issued on 27.01.2016